[OLD] Vaping Community Calculator STABLE ALPHA

FUCKING Aye!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m crying beer right now :laughing:

3 Likes

Changes:

• Added Public Recipe Update detection
  • Began moving things around to make room for the front page stats and to allow a public view of the recipes
  • Started re-working Flavour selection on create recipe page to allow for better styling
  • Recoded flavour stash to make it more efficient (Still not finished) (locked)
  • Re-built header menus for better transitioning from desktop to mobile
  • Added visual percentage bar to recipes from public
  • Minor optimisations to code
3 Likes

If I may be so bold sir…might I make the following suggestion!?

Use something close to the following format in all names:

common name, vendor name/variant, (brand)

EG:
Strawberry, Red Touch (FA)
Strawberry, Shisha (Ina)
Strawberry, Ripe (TFA)
Strawberry, Sweet (Cap)

that way shit stays easy to sort when looking through the flavor list.

Some secondary things I’ve seen worth mentioning have been:
Bano (FA)
Biscotti (FA)
Biscuit (Ina)

which IMHO should be
Banana, Bano (FA)
Cookie, Biscotti (FA)
Cookie, Biscuit (Ina)

just off the top of my noggin. I’m sure more will come, but things like the above have been my biggest pet peeves in trying to find shit amongst 350 flavors, and NOT having a universal naming convention in place.

/rant on:
Also, lastly, probably my BIGGEST gripe…
I wish the ‘old folks’ would STOP FUCKING CALLING IT TPA. It’s not been TPA for years, the major vendors SELL IT/list it as TFA, and it’s a completely different section/product of the website FFS!!! Some of the same named flavors of TPA are NOT vape safe!!
/rant off

4 Likes

The reversing of words in a returned string it not super hard with code. The knowing when it is required is the hard bit.
Take a small sample of the 304 strawberry flavours

Strawberry Daiquiri Extract
Strawberry Extract Natural
Wild Strawberry Champagne Extract (Natural)
Wild Strawberry Extract
Strawberry (Natural)
Strawberry-Kiwi (Natural)
Strawberry Tart
Strawberry Chewing Gum
Strawberry Flavor
Sweet Strawberry Flavor
Strawberry
Strawberry Fresh
Strawberry Natural
Strawberry Timber
Wild Strawberry
Strawberry
Strawberry Extreme
Wild Strawberry
Strawberry (SC)
Kiwi Strawberry With Stevia
Strawberry Taffy
Sweet Strawberry
Strawberry
Strawberry cheesecake
Strawberry Jam
Strawberry Milkshake
Strawberry Yoghurt
Strawberry
Strawberry Milk

And you can see where problems would arise

5 Likes

In regards to flavour alias
Cookie, Biscotti (FA)
Cookie, Biscuit (Ina)
etc
I am not sure what could be done here but it would probably have to be something that was done by way of suggest an alias for this flavour. It is early days so I am not sure if grubby wants to go to that length at this stage in the dev cycle.

5 Likes

You make a good point @anon96069639

3 Likes

Well that is changeable since the manufacturer name is in a separate col to the flavour name.

However grubby had a check box that restricted the returned results in the drop down box (when making a recipe) to flavours in your stash which would make the selection super fast. It has since been hidden - not wanting to speak for grubby so I cant say if it will be back but I did really like the idea.

Alternatively (and a bit more of a pita ) 2 drop downs could be employed one for brand and the data for the second could be populated with only that brand

4 Likes

I also think that over time the list sort could be changed so the most popular flavours could be at the top of the list but with virtually no data on the usage atm it would not be very helpful.

3 Likes

The “problem” with this is when people make stones. Alisa, Pro_Vapes, etc have lots of pre-made stones they use in a lot of their recipes. Custard, Strawberry, Fruit, Chocolate, Cream, etc… She has some very wonderful juices, and to NOT allow her to mix her stuff her way, would be detrimental and she may not move her recipe stash over. She also has several similar stones (old custards, new custards, etc).

How do we handle these situations ?
When do we say, yes you can add your custom stone ?
Why should we/you say that you can ONLY choose manufactured flavors sold by vendors.

I truly see the benefit of limiting users to ONLY include predefined flavors sold by manufacturers, but this puts a huge limitation when stones are involved.

5 Likes

Grubby has a solution to this formulating in his head (i am fairly sure)

5 Likes

The former rather than the latter Sir :rofl:

4 Likes

Not arguing with you Mr. Pipes ! I too like to start with “here’s what I do”, or have done.

Their stones are using known flavors, etc, so no complaints there.

Just bringing up an exception to the “rule”, as it does make writing your recipe a lot easier. ie: 3% of Milk Stone, compared to whatever was in the stone and the corresponding % of each flavor in that stone at 3% concentration in the mix == lots of math.

The experienced mixers have their stones, newbies (like myself) copy them, maybe even tweak their stone a bit based on what’s in their flavor stash. So Grubby would grant the experienced user their stone, but not mine, because I’m a newbie ? It’s got most of what’s in theirs, but subbing out a flavor or two because of a PG sensitivity/lack of flavor availability where they live/whatever other reason.

As a newbie, looking at someone’s recipe, I wouldn’t know a stone was used unless it stood out (ie: flavor named “Milk Stone”), or was mentioned in the notes, or even how to identify if x/y/z flavors could be constituted as a “stone” or a “base”. Like reading people’s comments in a recipe and seeing that they like the “custard” base in the fruit mix… I’m thinking “what ?” Which flavors are they referring to ? Subtract all the fruits, and that’s a “custard” base ?? or a cookie base ? Yup, I’m dumb but still learning ! :wink:

No arguments, I really like limiting users to choose from the predefined list of flavors for their stash & their recipes, but there will always be exceptions. Just pointing this one out. That’s all. It’s just more shit for Grubby to process through.
Sorry Grubby !

4 Likes

And while that’s very true… The problem (IMO) arises on ‘the back side’ (when it comes time to mix).

Your brain thinks “I want to add xyz strawberry” first, and then has to make a secondary “translation” into “ok, these jackasses wanted to market their shit so it’d stand out” so they called it “Red Touch” (or “Red Summer”, which are now both side by side, but have no legitimate correlation to a flavor, though one is strawberry, and the other watermelon).

I like your idea of leading with the brand (as far as data entry), but then, now, your flavor stash again has strawberries all over the place… Etc. At least if the stash doesn’t make the adjustment, and converted it to “leading by flavor type/category”, rather than brand grouping.

3 Likes

While I get what you’re saying, stones aside, think about folks like Kinnikinnick, etc who make NETs (be it tobacco, coffee, etc).

And then others like David5362 who do their “aged in Oak barrels” type thing. :wink:

In the minority for sure, but I know I’d want those talented and creative minds to feel equally welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Reading through, there seems to be some confusion about what you can enter in the flavour field.

You can enter whatever you like in there, however, if it is not from the official list it will only be put in the recipe, I’m hoping to have 2 check boxes mentioned by woftam.

One will allow you to search your stash only, the other could potentially allow searching flavours currently being used in recipes.

4 Likes

The abbreviations are added using a company name switch before their fed to the search input.

I only have a handful of them atm not sure all the company’s should be abbreviated as some are quite obscure.

There are 10k+ flavours compiled by @woftam

5 Likes

I’m working on my own flavour search boxes for the create page to add flexibility, average percentage should be doable plus better formatting of the flavour names for readability

5 Likes

You certainly shouldnt feel like you cant say anything, your input is valuable to me and the community, please dont hold back :+1:

5 Likes

I am really looking forward to this. I started mixing before I really got into looking at the tools on ELR. I mostly went there to look at starting and median percentages. It seemed kinda overwhelming and disjointed to even start so I never did.

3 Likes