Let’s talk Guitars!

Wow. What a great share!
I love this type of insight.

:thumbsup:
As would I!

2 Likes

Wonderful explanation! Really diggin this!!! And of course the aggregate resonant frequencies of string and instrument materials determine relative strengths of the frequencies produced. Add in filtering from pick-up characteristics of electronic stringed instruments and you have quite the complex playground. We need to change your name or biline to Mr. Physics!!

3 Likes

Thought you guys would appreciate this - while evacuating you should grab your most prized articles first.

TBH it probably isn’t real but the sentiment is there.

3 Likes

Why would anyone try to save a piece of firewood like yamaha pacifica or ibanez gio? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you missed the overall message > any guitar should be saved over any wife/girlfriend

i’m picky about guitars :smiley:

2 Likes

You are a legend. That must be a great feeling.

3 Likes

Hot off the press…

4 Likes

Very very tasteful cover man!
Well done to the lot of ya’ll!

3 Likes

How did you know I love that song? :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing it!

2 Likes

Thank you kindly brother Sparks! On behalf of the band, we very much appreciate that!!!

3 Likes

We must have both been tuned into the Israeli - states thought channel. After posting and listening, I still have to go back and tame the keys a little. Always happens that way, lol.

4 Likes

Did you see the video of Ray explaining how they wrote the song?

I lol-ed at the part where he claims it’s super hard to play on the bass

3 Likes

That’s a very interesting video. That’s an odd statement for sure regarding the bass. For our cover the bass is simply tasked with consistency. It’s the entire foundation. Every other instrument is “open” to include the kit. I love how the guys play off each other and find their own “holes” without packing the piece full, destroying space. Ray did a wonderful job with that. Every aspect of the texture that he mentions has been conveyed in the piece.

4 Likes

My first amp was given to me by a friend. It was a National tube amp with two oval shaped speakers. It was horrible for bass, but I used a phase shifter and with the beautiful feedback it gave, I was pretty much playing guitar on my bass. I regret getting rid of that. In decent shape that amp can easily fetch $1,000.

I know some of you may cringe or roll your eyes, but my amplification is all Peavey. I guess its vintage now since its all mid to late eighties era. I don’t have any pics as its all in storage.

I have owned or played with all the usual suspects; Ampeg, GK, Fender etc… I just always compared them to my Peavey rig and it always won out.

The heart is a Peavey Mega Bass rack mount head in an Anvil case. It was cutting edge at the time. I would bi-amp that to an 18" Black Widow and to a 2 X10" Black Widow Cabinet. I got a great deal on the 2 X 10 as it is also powered with a 200 watt slave amp but you can use it without too.
I would send a preamp out to a 300 watt combo amp with a 15" Black Widow, so I could do low mid and high.

I remember my first kind of big paying gig. It was a private birthday party. It was an old dance hall kind of place with a beautiful huge stage. It was definitely built as a big band venue. It seated 400 people at tables and there was still a huge dance floor. So we were doing sound check and it was my first time working with a pro sound guy and real sound system. Not a tiny PA just for the singer. So I setup my gear like I always did. Probably volume on 10 and within a few seconds all the audio cable plugs flew out of the back of the PA speakers because of the excessive bass. So the sound guy came over and kinda schooled me and pointed at my stack and said something like “You know this is mostly for show now right? Stand near the PA speakers or monitors and I will adjust all the bass” He set me up with a wireless system so I could hear what it was like way in the middle of the hall with just my bass rig and then through the sound system. Then I understood how much the low end sound waves expanded over a distance and it was like a religious awakening. After that I was a little more conservative with my settings. I had no clue I was causing seismic events for people farther away.

3 Likes

Not to mention they were built like brick shithouses!! Another reason they’re so long lasting.

2 Likes

Been too busy to try it yet. Sorry… hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Reading through this thread I now realise how little I know about the technical side of things I’m more a plug in, twist the knobs until it sounds good and play kind of guy! Some lovely looking guitars you’ve made @anon96069639. If I had the means I’d be hounding you to make one for me :grin: it now becomes apparent that @Pennywise was not so subtly hinting he would like one too​:rofl::crazy_face:

4 Likes

You clearly have a talent and it deserves to be seen and heard. I’m sure once things settle down they’ll fly off the shelf. Best of luck!

5 Likes

The only guitar I ever made. It is a 3d printed body and pickguard. Neck is off a Fender Strat that someone trashed.

2 Likes