Homogenizing Equipment Used for E-liquid Making

One of the other aspects of this that fascinates me, is that with the addition of heat, there may be some level of pasteurization. I always wondered about ejuice and whether any of the components were antibacterial/ antiviral/ anti fungal in nature?

We haven’t heard of any types of infectious spread of anything due to ejuice being contaminated that I know of.

1 Like

VG is antibacterial/ antiviral/ antifungal in nature as far as i am aware

not 100% sure on the anti fungal

It encases water molecules and somehow stops germs by doing it. Hazy memory on it

3 Likes

LMFAO… Yeah, we can thank Big Tomato for that! :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting science project. I’m still not gonna do it UNLESS it’s for a shake n vape 120ml bottle that will be used this week for example. The other reason I don’t add nic when mixing is that if I want a lower or higher dose of nic, I can very quickly .

Granted, a high vg mix seems to oxidize a lot slower than in a pg vg mix . Guess to each their own eh?

3 Likes

Yes on anti fungal but not sure on anti viral. I’ll slather some vg on myself before a romp with a prostitute then send feedback if I got a disease

6 Likes

Left is zero nic 6 months old. Middle is 4 months old pg vg mix with nic and right is pg vg mix 6 months old

4 Likes

Nic salts in Grubby Mother (my version of @grubby’s MM clone) think we can all agree that custard would normally be a lot darker in colour than this one after this amount of time. This is not the bottle i use (i have this recipe as one of my adv) it is one i have sitting on the desk in a clear bottle that i vape from time to time to test the life of the juice so far it hasn’t changed taste at all.

Grubby Mother

Ingredient %
Coconut (CAP) 1.50
Erythritol 5% (NN) 0.45
Graham Cracker v1 (CAP) 1.20
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) 0.15
Marshmallow (CAP) 1.00
Saline (0.9% solution) 0.25
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 4.50
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2.00

Flavor total: 11.05%

6 Likes

I started to link this thread to the following…

But I thought I’d wait and see first. :laughing:

Lambu obviously put a lot of time and effort into collecting the links. But I swear, the majority looks like the same old tired material.

4 Likes

We are fortunate here to date. Our membership is overall very mature in character development. It truly is wonderful to have a conversation like this where numerous different perspectives are presented without encumbrance. This is a rare community. I see no value in wasting time on those who “don’t get it” and spend my time with those who do.

4 Likes

Hello Guitarded. Very informative and in depth post. Thank you very much. Been mixing for the past 7 years own a company in colombia we have 7 retail stores. We use mainly comercial 10-20 liter blenders to airate and blend our liquids. We recently are looking to purchase a silverson LM5-A High Sheer Mixer with 12 Liter Capacity. I wanted to ask you. How long do you use your high sheer mixer for in terms of seconds/minutes to achive your homogenous mixture?. Thank you very much

4 Likes

Will let @anon96069639 answer the bulk of what you asked but I will comment on the use of Silverson LM5-A High Sheer Mixer I ran a test on that model (in a friends lab) - to get close to the 12lt capacity that it is advertised at will be difficult you will need to heat the mix to about 50c and even then while it will work it will also take a bit of time to achieve a fully homogenous mixture. For larger batches, I would suggest a bigger unit than the LM5-A.

Heating a large batch will be a challenge and maybe something a little bigger is in order to account for that. Something like below can be had for a semi reasonable price - you will need a lift and a large ss container.

s-l500

7 Likes

Thank you very much Woftam. I will consider in this case talking with silverson what model they recomend for larger quantities. Do you recomend to follow the process that Guitarded recomends which is

1.) Heat up the PG and VG by themselves
2.) Let PG and VG cool and then add flavoring
3.) Then proceed to homogenize the mixture
4.) Follow up with an Ultrasonic Bath

Thank you very much

2 Likes

I heat everything together mix and bottle (your #2 should be left out) I also do not usc but best method is the one you like :grin:

I am not currently using a high shear just a small normal o/h mixer and 50c of heat.

Some of Saturday’s mixes

6 Likes

Thank you very much for your prompt response. Im honored to be part of this community. please count on me for anything you might need.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for your prompt response @anon96069639. Dont worry your and @woftam and @Sprkslfly comments on both high sheer mixers and ultrasonic cleaners are amazing.

I was telling @Sprkslfly about this video on degasing of beer

You mentioned that its a two part equation. On one side the use of a high shear homogenizer to achive and i quote from you: With Mechanical Homogenizers a higher quality and better performing finished product is produced, because mechanical homogenization allows for:

• Reduced particle size
  • Increased particle uniformity

On the other side of the equation you mentioned that after you homogenize you use ultrasonic cleaners to de gas de mixture.

You mentioned you de gas for 2 minutes is this correct? At a temperature no higher than 60 degrees celius. I noticed that there are some ultrasonic cleaners that have a degasing feature built in.

Thank you very much

Please count on me for anything you guys need im here.

4 Likes

@anon96069639 I had some questions about this post

1.) You mentioned that lab homogenizers are uncapable of de frothing which is the elimination of oxygen but aeration is at a minimum with little movement at the surface. In this case you use Ultra Sonics to degas is this correct

a.) In the Case of Silverson High Shear Mixers such as the L5AM capable of emulsifying, homogenizing, disintegrating, dissolving, dispersing, blending, particle size reduction. In this case is the need for a secondary process such as Ultrasonics required? Is it fair to say with this equipment the need for degassing can be obtained using this equipment?

2.) Ive been looking at this piece of equipment used for degassing. Have you used of seen this type of equipment which is different from an Ultrasonic Bath where the bottle is submerged in liquid. In this case a probe is introduced into the liquid in an open container to obtain similar results. Do you believe this will work?

2 Likes

Thank you so much @anon96069639 for you quick and thorough response. Yes of course I will consult with Silverson like you mentioned whether or not cavitation is being produced hence the post processing step of using an ultrasonic cleaner is needed or not.

I wanted to ask you another question on the topic of Homogenizing Equipment. I saw a video by Phil Pbsuardo a few years ago that inspired me to by comercial blenders. Not Vitaminix but actual 10 Liter and 25 liter comercial high shear blenders.

Goodlifevapor uses blenders in order to blend their juice and it allows aeration of the juice creating a air funnel as well as homogenizing the juice. It looks like milk once its ready and then after a day or so you can see it steeping and return to its normal state.

What do you think of this method?

In this article they mention that

Evaporation and degasification simply wont happen with the lid on (Think bottle of lemonade)

c) Blending to a foam (Super Effective)

what do you think @anon96069639

Thank you very much

3 Likes

Good Morning @anon96069639 relating to you question which was an I quote

So “esteban” I have a question for you and then some follow ups. 1st, are you the author of the supposed “Hidden Science.” I find it very odd that you want to focus on 2 1/2 year old threads with basically “I say you said” questions.

My response is as follows.

1.) No not at all Im not the author of this thread about the Hidden Science behind e liquid steeping

2.) The reason why I comented on this post that was two years old is because I looked at the forum and only found this and your homogenizing equipment discussion on the matter

Im an enthuisast mixer who has spent alot of money on Balances made by Ohaus and Mettler Toledo inclusing the Adventurer and Explorer series by Ohaus as well as a XPR32001L Balance made by Mettler Toledo for big batches up to 20 Liters which is almost a $10K balance. I also Own Industrial grade blenders two 10 liter ones and 1 25 liter one. I have also purchased Red Devil Inustrial Paint Shakers and Im on the way to buy a gyroscopic and orbital shaker made by Radia which owns Red Devil

This is what they guys at 5 Pawns use to homogenize their liquid

Im also in the midst of aquiring an L5MA High Sheer mixer from Silverson

I own a company in colombia that has 3 retail stores as well as an ISO Lab Cleanroom we worked with Terra Universal for that

Im very keen on knowing more about the subject that is why I comented on this post. Didnt know it was dated 2 years ago.

Im sorry if comenting on this post in any way upset you. I did not mean to cause any harm by this

4 Likes

Just a quick observation.

You’re FAR more than an “enthusiast” when you have equipment that facilitates you to mix volumes in the area of “20 liters” (or even a quarter of that IMO). :wink:

You are a (welcomed) professional.
Putting your modesty aside, I appreciate your kindness in sharing your background, and some of the tools you use (as well as have at your disposal). It provides us an insight and better understanding of the background (and point of view) in where you’re coming from during discussions such as these!

As @anon96069639 has mentioned, there are many at the hobbyist, and even enthusiast level who have been resistant to the idea of homogenizers (and a host of other aspects) due to sheer lack of knowledge and/or exposure to such concepts and/or hardware processes.

As are we all. :wink:
If it wasn’t for @anon96069639 taking on the challenge in the creation of a device that’s far more accessible to the enthusiasts out there, there’s no chance in hell that many of us (at this level; professionals like yourself not included) ever having the opportunity (much less, the reality) of being able to use one, and experience the difference!

To me, a hobbyist is a DIYer.
An enthuisast, is a DIYer who might do extensive single flavor tests, as well as looks at, and tests firsthand varying methodologies (heat/no heat, nic before or after mixing, use of a USC, homogenizers, etc). In short, they go much deeper than the average hobbyists. (There are varying degrees of each of course)

Just wanted to share a point of view from the “outside, looking in” (so to speak). :wink:

Never worry about that.
If it’s on topic, it’s fine!

4 Likes