WARNING! BOLO (Be On The Lookout For) please read

Just saw this posted on ELR, and wanted you guys to be aware…

https://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/free-pc-software-for-eliquid-mixing/252299

@grubby, @Steampugs, @woftam

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/a2b7fe1c843f0f9f8172f3a8e27faa61f78db48139b47ecbbb96e9ea69036e0d/detection

Snap 2021-01-19 at 17.26.06

https://metadefender.opswat.com/results/file/bzIxMDExOXo1RHlUVGc4Y19PcXN5amZBaWlV/regular/multiscan?lang=en

23 Likes

Good catch Dman, with all that’s going on atm I don’t need no virus in my mix :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Think I’ll just stick with what works for me, like the VCC :ok_hand:

16 Likes

Thanks for looking out.

11 Likes

Do yo think it was intentional? Like someone wanted to do harm to elr and it’s members?

11 Likes

Thanks @SessionDrummer

10 Likes

Nice one @SessionDrummer Good looking out, I’ve stickied the topic :beers:

11 Likes

@Dan_the_Man, who knows. The original post was muted/delisted, and the poster, posted it again. I think he was then removed.

I advised him, that his linked download had issues, and that he remove it, and if fixed, then repost. It was a brand new member, so I can’t speak to why it was posted multiple times on ELR.

8 Likes

Ya, I reported the post and I think you did too.

8 Likes

Thanks @SessionDrummer

Everywhere you turn on the www there’s some ugly creature trying to do harm.

9 Likes

Very welcome @SthrnMixer, I’m just glad I caught it early.

8 Likes

I don’t understand these? Can someone explain this is simpler terms so newbies can learn?I.keep reading them but I pldon’t know what they’re about or why…or what I’m and other mixers are being warned about. Also as hard as it may seem I am really actually getting used to using the internet in general. I spent alot of those years with a control freak that wouldn’t allow me to use it. That’s also why I am asking it may seem like dumb questions. I jist don’t know how to do alot in life in general. I apologize when I get annoying. I annoy myself most days with how much I have lost of my life with a wrong person. Sorry went down a unneeded hole…what are these posts about l??

7 Likes

@ladycrooks someone had posted an executable file on ELR stating it was a mixing program for DIY mixers. I didn’t know the member, nor the program, so I decided to run some scans on the file (free sites on line). It turned out that the file (program) was dirty, and per the scanning software, if installed, could infect the user’s computer. Basically NOT COOL.

After re-running the scans, I let everyone know to NOT INSTALL or us this program.

8 Likes

I don’t know much about these “dirty” programs i am not actually that computer oriented. Any help that way is surely appreciated btw for some reason i am just seeing this now…

5 Likes

Essentially it’s a computer virus. Depending on the program they can range anywhere from merely annoying, like flipping your display or screwing up the graphics…to quite severe in it’s effect, like copying passwords, Denial of Services, formatting hard drives etc.

5 Likes

Scary shit right there

4 Likes

I have been getting more annoying than straight up spamm.

4 Likes

There are more ways someone can drop a payload on you than you even guess, dirty files is just one way. You can get infected or injected just from going to a website. The web is a dangerous place these days. Keep your computers fully up to date update wise, use good anti virus and keep it current…
Dont use old versions of windows, like winXP.

5 Likes

@SessionDrummer Do you know if this is still a threat? Can it be easily obtained?

3 Likes

@Grubby, the file appears to be gone now.

4 Likes