A bizzare incident - explosion and fire - Opus Battery Charger

My pleasure and thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are a Vaping Community, we gotta be there for each other :+1:

7 Likes

Wow.
Very enlightening as always!
Thank you Mooch for continuing to educate us.

7 Likes

I need a break :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Holy smokes! Good to hear you guys are alright! Thanks for sharing Dan, things like this needs to be brought to everyone’s attention. If anyone has a charger box or ideas on how to build one, I would really like to get ahold of one myself. Qudos to everyone helping to get to the bottom of this!

6 Likes

Awesome! Please share, I’d like to see what you come up with. I think in the meantime I’ll do some research myself.

5 Likes

Hey @anon96069639, did you happen to see the PM I sent you? Mooch is not on hear but wanted to hear from you directly, info in the PM

6 Likes

Did it get rusty after, maybe in the “soup”? bay 3 is super rusty…

6 Likes

Both springs are pretty rusty too.

6 Likes

@anon96069639 I am so very glad you are ok, this is literally my worst nightmare in the vape world, I won’t be charging my batteries overnight anymore…with the rust on the battery slide, do you keep your charger in a workshop or someplace that doesn’t have constant a/c? I’m wondering if our lovely humidity could be a major contributor to the rust…

7 Likes

Gut shots first please! :laughing:

7 Likes

When I first read that I thought you said gunshots first, and I was totally down for shooting something before throwing it away Lol guess I really am a redneck…

8 Likes

I learned by losing some fishing gear that humidity sucks, all my reels and hooks and metal stuff stay inside where the AC runs, instead of the garage like they used to lol. The wife doesn’t like a corner of our bedroom being dedicated to fishing tackle, but she likes it less when I have to go buy all new fishing tackle lol

8 Likes

Now the problem is that I can’t unsee that image. :grin:

8 Likes

This has got me thinking. Maybe a metal box lined with ceramic or marble tiles that can fit 3 or 4 chargers. Sometimes you can find places that will sell scraps from countertops and leftover tiles for really cheap.

3 Likes

Yes, ceramic or marble will add to heat resistance but also have no or very low electrical conductivity. As long as the outer metal box contains any explosion, the ceramic won’t be shrapnel.

6 Likes

Here. Hold my beer…

5 Likes

The sad thing is I don’t even drink, can’t use that as an excuse lol

5 Likes

I don’t drink much either, and in the rare case I do, it’s damn sure not beer! lol (I’m a scotch fan).
I’m pretty sure there have to be Rednecks in Ireland and Scotland too! :wink: They just have a different accent, and terms. :laughing:

5 Likes

I have never owned another battery charger that ran as hot as the Opus. In spite of its annoyingly loud fan, it still put out an excessive amount of heat. I don’t see that it charged batteries any faster or more efficiently or any other reason it could have to put out more heat other than poor design. I wish I would have saved mine and sent it to mooch or someone that wanted to tear it apart, but it went straight in the trash. Thanks for sounding the alarm. This is much more serious than buttons that rattle or poor flavor and frankly just not worth the risk.

4 Likes